Nice incisive post by Gary Doctorow on Writing In The Age of Distraction.
His key recommendations are:
- Short, regular work schedule
- Leave yourself a rough edge – namely learn to Stop!
- Don’t research – rather radical sounding, just means keep the workflow going
- Don’t be ceremonious – don’t wait for the perfect setup
- Kill your word-processor – keep things as simple as possible
- Realtime communications tools are deadly
It’s good to remember the difference between collaborating and sharing and actually doing the work, you need to get the balance right (for you, in your role).
On that note, I think I’d better turn my email and newsfeed reader off for a while, they’re both maniacally compulsive…